The Forum dedicated to the remaking of Ruined World

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ideasfor new map and buildings

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Poloselite23

Poloselite23

Ideasfor new map and buildings Empty
PostSubject: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 3:51 pm

building design contraptions things to be put in with the new map! all ideas can go here!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/miningcreepers/website
Burgerkrieg

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 5:24 pm

TV-Stations that are sending the "Please stay tuned"-signal. they have been built for eternity so you can still find some of their antennas here and there.
Back to top Go down
Schwinny

Schwinny

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 8:31 pm

A large, worn out cargo ship in the middle of the desert. Just seems mysterious and fun to explore, maybe some chests hidden inside.
Back to top Go down
LoCzz

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm

i think that if we go with the rifts thing that we should have some extreme weather things such as fissures in the earth and other things that i cant think of at the minute
Back to top Go down
Burgerkrieg

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 9:33 am

While we just work on the map the creative way (means before the actual RP-launch) we should use VoxelSniper for landscaping and stuff.
Back to top Go down
aaron___awesome

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 8:23 pm

Burgerkrieg wrote:
While we just work on the map the creative way (means before the actual RP-launch) we should use VoxelSniper for landscaping and stuff.

Damn Straight! Ex, never would use that but its the best tool ever!
Back to top Go down
LoCzz

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:59 am

what ever happened to ex o.O
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 11:35 am

LoCzz wrote:
what ever happened to ex o.O
Well he ditched us and came back weeks later multiple times. Eventually he just didn't come back one time.
Back to top Go down
https://ruinedworlddev.canadian-forum.com
Schwinny

Schwinny

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Has the server even been up? I have tried getting on a few times to no avail Sad
Back to top Go down
Bleach_1

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 2:18 am

I've not had the building server up yet as we should complete the lore so we have buildings that correspond to what is in the lore.
Back to top Go down
Tibiscus

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 4:30 am

There should be old houses with sealed doors good for hiding in them and they should also contain like old Terminals with maps of the wasteland in them and also some gear like stone weapons and leather armor.Also some Metro tunnels or ruined structures with Mutants or Raiders(like some sort of dungeons with monster spawners).And also some treasure like batteries gears and food. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
FemaleDog

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Abandoned, underground lab base that looks ravaged as if an experiment had gone terribly wrong. Also maybe a secret room hidden by book cases that is completely untouched.
Back to top Go down
Tibiscus

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 3:28 am

the old terminals can like explode(put tnt in them) like some terminals in fallout if u know or they can have maps with some parts of the waste land.
Back to top Go down
Tibiscus

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 3:30 am

The trap terminals and the ones with the maps will look the same
Back to top Go down
xXCREISTXx

xXCREISTXx

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 10:05 pm

what do you think of a town like in the movie 'The book of Eli' where there are children, adults, older people, theres a tavern and a few shops, to make it more realistic you could use the mod Millenaire, (i know you do not want mods but its a suggestion) the only thing you would have to do is modify the files to change the appearance of people and buildings and done, if you wnat to know how to do that just ask in the mod's forum page. Smile
Back to top Go down
Schwinny

Schwinny

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 10:32 pm

xXCREISTXx wrote:
what do you think of a town like in the movie 'The book of Eli' where there are children, adults, older people, theres a tavern and a few shops, to make it more realistic you could use the mod Millenaire, (i know you do not want mods but its a suggestion) the only thing you would have to do is modify the files to change the appearance of people and buildings and done, if you wnat to know how to do that just ask in the mod's forum page. Smile

Once we get a good playerbase or make it pay to play, perhaps we could use mods. Using mods on regular severs usually drives people off because they just don't feel like downloading a mod for a server or don't know how. I'm sure if it was pay to play, we would mostly have experienced minecraft players that wouldn't mind installing a mod. I like the idea Very Happy
Back to top Go down
evilbirthdaycake

PostSubject: Small urban/suburban strips and areas   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 3:24 am

There should be small bastions of abandoned buildings that host some otherwise difficult to obtain resources (in very small portions) to allow for non-mining characters to scavenge needed resources from the world as they normally would have to, since generally mining would imply that your services are being put to work to supply a large amount of building materials.

These little intersections, neighborhoods, or strip malls should feature a variety of buildings of different sizes and shapes, be small and self contained enough to be easily searched, repaired into a settlement, or cleared for resources. I think that multiple people should design run down town structures, short roads, and various buildings to create a handful of unique empty cities to be used for the RP.

Ideally there should be a few different themes and styles for these old world collections of buildings, such as:

Urban Living Space : Several close together, multi-story homes around a 4 way intersection. The majority of the blocks will be common, probably with lots of sandstone used for brick duplexes and paved roads. A few buildings down each road out should come to a place where the road blends into the wasteland (Though they could be continued sparsely for the sake of leading players to find other old world buildings) And the buildings would come to a stop where players could easily set up walls and gates to keep out the creatures of the night. This seems to me like an ideal way to have human settlements rise and fall in a robust way, as well as give non-building RPers access to adequate shelter, and some repair work for characters that do build. This type of area would be a good place for a trading post and small city.

Strip Mall / Business Park : Far fewer buildings than the urban area, and around a straight road rather than a busy intersection, these buildings would feature a handful of stores that house useful and somewhat more uncommon, such as redstone wiring and electronics. An office building could also be present, providing a couple spacious floors of office space to be converted into a stronghold, but would start off with many broken windows and open spaces in need of patching up. The collection of buildings, however, would be somewhat more spread out and therefore not as easy to turn into a walled settlement, making the office building more of a key structure, and the surrounding buildings more scavenging-oriented. Building materials for the office building and stores would feature lots of sandstone, but also very large glass/smashed windows in storefronts and around the office. These areas would be very sensible for more militaristic groups to take up residence, and fortify.

Suburban Living Space : 4-5 small suburban homes with fenced laws around a small road or cul-de-sac. The homes would be spaced out, but also surrounded by fencing around each home. The homes would be plain wooden buildings in general, but still feature valuables here and there for the early scavenging parties. Open lawn space and a nearly gated off area would allow for an easily made makeshift farming community, allowing roaming wastelanders and settlers some shelter and safety. More nomadic and peaceful characters would find this to be a nice place to set up their homes.

Factory/Warehouse : Rare, large industrial areas that should probably contain some radioactivity and hostile mobs, as well as a good deal of iron/gears, redstone, any item that these buildings were intended to store/produce, with radioactive barrels and leaks turning them into deadly mazes with much needed rewards. These structures could ultimately be conquered, and transformed into huge headquarters for factions to control and fight over. There should be around 1 of these areas for every 5 or so other areas.

I know this would be a pretty huge request, but I am willing to help work on some of these buildings, and it would really kick-start some good RP as it does not require everyone to rely on certain skills in order to claim a place of their own. (At least initially, as time goes on cooperation will certainly be necessary.) And it also makes scavenging much more relevant, as opposed to merely stealing from the homes of existing players.
Back to top Go down
Bleach_1

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 9:45 am

evilbirthdaycake wrote:
-Snip-

Those sound like good design plans for a world recently destroyed, but civilization like Malls and Offices have been lost for a long time. If the lore i'm thinking of is being done, then we're in the 2900's. After 900 years of destruction, i would think very few buildings like those would be close together, at all. We'd probably have a set distance you can travel in the map, like we had it so you can go in any direction from spawn by 1000 blocks. It would only take a few minutes to get to the other side of the map, so the town-intersection idea you had seemed more realistic, for what is happening. And for the places that you could loot: bad idea. Sure, it'll provide good Roleplay, but just once. You put 3 iron gears in a chest for this "looting RP" and it'll only provide one half-decent RP, and that is if the person did not just stumble across it on their own.

The other thing is that the building on the server before it gets up is to build ruined cities or towns, etc for the people to RP through, not in. It's better to create your own town or area, and not rebuild an old one. That just removes one of those cool looking destroyed cities from the landscape. They also are used well at telling directions. I think that people should create their own towns/structures as that supplies a reason to RP if you can't build; hire someone to. Or if you don't have things to pay him with, do a trade of services. That's much more RPish than just saying "Hey, put a plank in this hole in the wall. Hooray, our town is finished!"
Back to top Go down
Bleach_1

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 9:51 am

Schwinny wrote:
xXCREISTXx wrote:

Once we get a good playerbase or make it pay to play, perhaps we could use mods. Using mods on regular severs usually drives people off because they just don't feel like downloading a mod for a server or don't know how. I'm sure if it was pay to play, we would mostly have experienced minecraft players that wouldn't mind installing a mod. I like the idea Very Happy

Aside from the P2P part, as that is for a different forum(not trying to say you were wrong to bring it up, but i'm just trying to stay clear from making a P2P conversation here) a mod like that will probably not be widely accepted by people. RP'ers would rather RP than let a mod do it for themselves. You can't RP with a mod, there's no back and forth conversation. I feel as though it's a good idea for some RP servers, but not this one. People who played here got PISSED when they ran into a bad-RPer. What'll happen when they run into a town of brain-dead bots that don't do anything but sell you stuff? It's not interesting RP, it's for softcore RP. This, what we have here is as hardcore RP as it can get. We have ropes, and whips and stuff. We even have a saddle and paddles(wooden swords).
Back to top Go down
evilbirthdaycake

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 2:38 pm

Quote :
Those sound like good design plans for a world recently destroyed, but civilization like Malls and Offices have been lost for a long time. If the lore i'm thinking of is being done, then we're in the 2900's. After 900 years of destruction, i would think very few buildings like those would be close together, at all. We'd probably have a set distance you can travel in the map, like we had it so you can go in any direction from spawn by 1000 blocks. It would only take a few minutes to get to the other side of the map, so the town-intersection idea you had seemed more realistic, for what is happening. And for the places that you could loot: bad idea. Sure, it'll provide good Roleplay, but just once. You put 3 iron gears in a chest for this "looting RP" and it'll only provide one half-decent RP, and that is if the person did not just stumble across it on their own.

The other thing is that the building on the server before it gets up is to build ruined cities or towns, etc for the people to RP through, not in. It's better to create your own town or area, and not rebuild an old one. That just removes one of those cool looking destroyed cities from the landscape. They also are used well at telling directions. I think that people should create their own towns/structures as that supplies a reason to RP if you can't build; hire someone to. Or if you don't have things to pay him with, do a trade of services. That's much more RPish than just saying "Hey, put a plank in this hole in the wall. Hooray, our town is finished!"

Well I understand where you're coming from in terms of how damaged the old world buildings should be, but at the same time, if there was one particular piece of land that was outside of a bomb's reach, it would likely have much less damage, especially a larger building like an office building, or one of those schools built in the 60's that were like half bomb shelter, but there would definitely be collapse and debris... but its not unreasonable to have some buildings standing, especially considering some of the other things people want in the game.

It also seems to me like better RP to be using fixed up ruins as our homes and settlements, but think about some of the settlements in fallout 3. Canturbury Commons' layout was very believable, there really werent any people living in buildings that weren't standing there before, and Rivet City made sense too, but Megaton was total insanity, it was like a huge dome of airplane parts that they expected you to believe they dragged there from a far off airfield. Without a freight train? Megaton was somewhat cartoonish as a concept.

Ideally settlements should be starting out in these ruins and then growing outward, using the scrap to expand into a more player shaped town, but starting off with a central structured area. Starting from scratch seems almost unrealistic, unless you're some kind of powerful faction, and if everyone was then the RP would be kind of silly too
Back to top Go down
Bleach_1

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 3:18 pm

evilbirthdaycake wrote:
Quote :

Well I understand where you're coming from in terms of how damaged the old world buildings should be, but at the same time, if there was one particular piece of land that was outside of a bomb's reach, it would likely have much less damage, especially a larger building like an office building, or one of those schools built in the 60's that were like half bomb shelter, but there would definitely be collapse and debris... but its not unreasonable to have some buildings standing, especially considering some of the other things people want in the game.

It also seems to me like better RP to be using fixed up ruins as our homes and settlements, but think about some of the settlements in fallout 3. Canturbury Commons' layout was very believable, there really werent any people living in buildings that weren't standing there before, and Rivet City made sense too, but Megaton was total insanity, it was like a huge dome of airplane parts that they expected you to believe they dragged there from a far off airfield. Without a freight train? Megaton was somewhat cartoonish as a concept.

Ideally settlements should be starting out in these ruins and then growing outward, using the scrap to expand into a more player shaped town, but starting off with a central structured area. Starting from scratch seems almost unrealistic, unless you're some kind of powerful faction, and if everyone was then the RP would be kind of silly too

I'm not saying recent bombs have destroyed these buildings. A building in the 60's would have definitely fallen apart by the 2900's. You know the buildings that make up the majority of cities like New York City and other large cities that rapidly expanded in the 50's and 60's? Well, those buildings have what they call something like Time decay. The building is pretty much getting weaker and weaker. Those 30+ story buildings that were made back then will probably have to be torn down soon(in the next 10-15 years or so) so they don't fall apart in the middle of the city. A bunch of large bombs(nukes), other races coming to take over, and 900 YEARS in the future, you'll have little to no buildings left. There might be a small remain that is ancient and unusable.

Watch the show "Life after People". That show portrays an accurate future if all humans died out suddenly. by 500 years without humans, there's little to nothing to show they were there. You can argue on a large scale, there will be evidence, like underground structures that survived a bit, but it'd look like complete ruins to anyone looking at it. So yeah. 900 years, races exterminating humans, bombs, etc going on, and you expect building from the 1960's to survive? that's absurd. Extermination on a large scale and nukes going off EVERYWHERE is going to halt civilization. People would abandon those buildings, stop paying attention to everyone else and focus on JUST THEMSELVES to survive. Buildings will collapse soon with nukes going off, and buildings that weren't destroyed by them would collapse from lack of being maintained.

Buildings made by humans recently would be there, like in the past 100 years or so when people formed a small town, but those towns wouldn't have malls, they wouldn't have giant office buildings, they might have something like a shack to teach children stuff, but not much more than essential things.

Let me just put this out there. THIS IS NOT A FALLOUT SERVER. If you want a fallout server, then you will be disappointed.

I agree, that for a RECENTLY destroyed world, like if this all went down in the 2020's, and it was 2100's now or even in the 2200's, it would be good to have some buildings remaining like that. But not 900 years later after so much destruction and havoc.

Edit: By the way, I don't remember seeing you on the old server, at all. I assume you're someone new.

Quote :

It's not supposed to easy to RP here. We want good people that can RP well enough where we don't need to hold their hand through the first month. A central structured area for people to start RP in take away RP. Why would you want to have to start in a designated place? It's not starting from scratch if you have seen a previous application. We want a FULL DETAILED life story, where most if not ALL people end it with their character was wandering the wastelands, which is where RPing in the server takes place next. You also don't need a powerful faction to start a town from scratch. MANY MANY people did it with the help of only like, 2 or 3 other people. 4 People, starting a town. More will come to give a better RP, but you really think you have to be powerful to start something from scratch? If 3 out of 4 of those people were builders, you could get a small town up and running after a while.

The RP also wasn't silly. The towns made RP more accessible to new players, where they might eventually go off and venture around the map more. Don't be against it if you've never tried it, especially here.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 3:40 pm

I would have to mostly agree with what bleach has stated. The only point I disagree on is fixing ruines. My plan was to have the main town of nocturne be built in game by the first wave of refugees and explorers. I planned for the original site to have been placed over a city from the prewar era that was rebuilt after the world recovered. When the rifts opened I planned to have the city destroyed again but later rebuilt to some degree by the extra planar invaders as a small base of operations. When the rift was closed the city has partially burned again but was again rebuilt as the humans were pushed out of the area. Finally when the humans in New Zealand pushed outwards they carpet bombed the city and claimied the ruins as a military base. After they were pushed out the city fell to disrepair and eventually the players travel to it and try to use it as an outpost to conduct their explorations.

Now as some of you are going to point out. Why this city? Why rebuild it so many times? why does everyone want to own it?
The simple answer is nocturne is within 10 miles of the original rift. Every sentient thing on earth is trying to understand that event and thus the birthplace of said event would naturally be a point of interest in research.

Hopefully that explains a little bit. Just so you know I am still on my trip but found some extremely shitty internet in this cafe on a random island. I have spent the last hour just trying to look at this page Sad The lore has been expanded and I have included one new race so far.
Back to top Go down
https://ruinedworlddev.canadian-forum.com
Bleach_1

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 4:05 pm

Admin wrote:
I would have to mostly agree with what bleach has stated. The only point I disagree on is fixing ruines. My plan was to have the main town of nocturne be built in game by the first wave of refugees and explorers. I planned for the original site to have been placed over a city from the prewar era that was rebuilt after the world recovered. When the rifts opened I planned to have the city destroyed again but later rebuilt to some degree by the extra planar invaders as a small base of operations. When the rift was closed the city has partially burned again but was again rebuilt as the humans were pushed out of the area. Finally when the humans in New Zealand pushed outwards they carpet bombed the city and claimied the ruins as a military base. After they were pushed out the city fell to disrepair and eventually the players travel to it and try to use it as an outpost to conduct their explorations.

Now as some of you are going to point out. Why this city? Why rebuild it so many times? why does everyone want to own it?
The simple answer is nocturne is within 10 miles of the original rift. Every sentient thing on earth is trying to understand that event and thus the birthplace of said event would naturally be a point of interest in research.

Hopefully that explains a little bit. Just so you know I am still on my trip but found some extremely shitty internet in this cafe on a random island. I have spent the last hour just trying to look at this page Sad The lore has been expanded and I have included one new race so far.

Sounds good. Razz
Back to top Go down
evilbirthdaycake

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 7:21 pm

I didn't mean to imply that I'm looking for a fallout RP server, it was just a quick example to call to memory of post apocalyptic life.
I also didn't call your RP silly, I was saying hypothetically that if every single player was part of some huge faction capable of building new cities from scratch then it would be silly, but I guess that came out the wrong way. Please don't take anything that I'm saying as disrespect, I am new and I really like the whole concept of the server, that wasn't what I wanted to talk about. I only wanted to talk about the buildings, why they might be there, and how they could be useful.

I agree without a doubt that only ruined buildings would remain if buildings remain at all, I don't think these buildings should take the place of what players should be building, but it at least gives a sense of purpose to where and why a community might start up. Settlers would probably favor ruins to empty fields, fix them up, and nothing would be given without effort, the buildings should need serious work, even ruins of previous cities from the earlier times of the server would make sense to set up.

Also you seem to be upset that I said there would be a mall, that is not the case, I said strip mall, like those little strips of stores you see along the sides of the highway. Not the large shopping centers. Also, I was using the 1960's buildings as an example of some buildings being built to withstand a lot more punishment than average buildings, and if they escaped being bombed, they're likely to be the longer lasting ruins, not that they would be totally intact. But none of this was meant to be an argument, this is just an unfortunate misunderstanding.

The idea that the Admin is talking about is exactly what I intended from all of this, places that started out from people re-purposing what was left of pre-war structures, and then growing from there on their own as they managed to live successfully.
Back to top Go down
zenzored

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Big ol' city with a crater in the center, and some destroyed buildings around it. traps all about, and monster spawners for raiders and such all bout the place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ideasfor new map and buildings   Ideasfor new map and buildings Empty

Back to top Go down

Ideasfor new map and buildings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ruined World Development :: Development :: Map-
Jump to: